Falklands, South Georgia & Valdes Peninsula: In the heart of the wilderness on Le Boreal
NIGHT IN BUENOS AIRES + FLIGHT BUENOS AIRES/USHUAIA + TRANSFER
Admire a black and white sea of penguins on the remote beaches of South Georgia, hike along the rocky coastlines of the Falkland Islands as black-browed albatrosses fly overhead, hope to catch the unique sight of orcas voluntarily beaching themselves to hunt on the beaches of the Valdes Peninsula... PONANT is offering you the possibility of having these unforgettable experiences as you discover a spectacular natural environment during a brand-new 19-day expedition cruise aboard Le Boréal.
You will leave Ushuaia in your wake and sail to fabulous South Georgia. Here, king penguins, elephant seals and fur seals have invaded the shore and the young, newly emancipated from their parents, observe you with a curious eye. Light-mantled albatrosses fly above the black-sand beaches encircled by the island’s mountains. It is there, amid the snow-covered mountains, that Sir Ernest Shackleton miraculously ran aground during the famous Endurance Odyssey in 1916, before returning to rescue the rest of his crew, left behind on the remote Elephant Island. The museum commemorating this legendary expedition will teach you more about this fabulous saga, and the visit to the former whaling station will immerse you in the life of that little-known period.
Your expedition to the heart of the South Atlantic will continue with a visit to the Falkland Islands. As you sail in this archipelago of two hundred islands, you will be escorted by sei whales. Composing the wild beauty of the shorelines are beaches of white sand, jagged cliffs, windswept moors, and tall grass swaying with the wind. This is the perfect setting for the thousands of Gentoo and king penguins, the elephant seals, sea lions, fur seals, and the black-browed albatrosses that watch from above.
The scenery soon shifts, as the mountainous landscapes give way to the arid steppes of the Chubut province in Argentina. After a stop in the charming Camarones, renowned for its prawns, you will explore the Valdes Peninsula. In this wildlife sanctuary, you will watch orcas hunt young elephant seals on the beaches, as Magellanic penguins look on. The eared seals yawn indolently, the guanacos gallop elegantly, and the skunk dolphins swim peacefully. The majestic beauty of the natural environment is awe-inspiring.
We are privileged guests in these extreme lands where we are at the mercy of weather and ice conditions. Landings on certain sites and the observation of certain wildlife cannot be guaranteed. They vary from day to day, making each PONANT cruise a unique experience. The Captain and the Expedition Leader will make every effort to ensure that your experience is as rich as possible, while complying with the safety rules and instructions imposed by the IAATO.
Le Boréal, like its Sisterships L’Austral, Le Soléal and Le Lyrial, epitomises the unique feel and atmosphere of the ships of the PONANT fleet. Subtly combining luxury, intimacy and serene well-being, the ship has been designed to offer passengers both moments of conviviality and spaces conducive to peaceful tranquility and a sense of escape and getting away from it all. Its exterior and interior lines testify to the ingeniousness and refinement with which the Sisterships have been designed.
PONANT is the World Leader in Luxury Expeditions with ultra-modern, intimate ships, offering attentive service and well-designed itineraries that touch all corners of the globe. Every cruise is a blend of adventure, exploration, and discovery—all experienced in luxurious comfort, even in the heart of extreme landscapes.
Why cruise with PONANT?
• 12 luxury small ships, able to easily navigate small waterways and visit remote destinations not accessible by large cruise ships.
• Le Commandant Charcot, the world’s first luxury hybrid-electric polar exploration yacht, sails further into the polar regions (including the Geographic North Pole).
• The youngest expedition fleet afloat.
• The leader in luxury polar expeditions for over 20 years and cultural cruising for over 30 years.
• Over 400 awe-inspiring cruises, calling at over 450 ports on all seven continents.
• Experts on board our voyages of discovery and learning to enrich guests’ understanding of the destinations.
• An exclusive partnership with Smithsonian Journeys, the the travel program of the Smithsonian Institution.
• Understated elegance on board with French-inspired cuisine, fine wines, and chic design.
• Proud to partner with Sothys, Veuve Clicquot, and Ducasse Conseil. Ships feature fabrics by Pierre Frey, beauty products from Hermès, macarons by Ladurée, and tea from Palais des Thés.
• 100% of our staterooms have a sea view and 95% have a balcony (100% on the PONANT EXPLORERS).
• Attentive yet discreet service from an experienced, multilingual onboard staff and crew.
• Open bridge access (requires approval from Captain).
• “Clean Ship” certification for the fleet in recognition of their eco-friendly features.
• All-inclusive pricing with open bar, gratuities, port fees, and taxes (including Zodiac explorations/landings on expeditions).
• The world’s first underwater passenger lounge, the Blue Eye, featured exclusively on the PONANT EXPLORER ships.
|11||The Neck, Saunders Island|
|11||Carcass, Falkland Islands|
|12||West Point Island, Falkland Islands|
|12||Steeple Jason Island|
|19||Buenos Aires||7:00 AM|